Monday, July 23, 2007

Water

If giving a cup of water to a child in Jesus’ name is important, should we possibly consider what it means to use so much water needlessly in this world, that somewhere else in this world a child is trying to live day to day in a parched land with a throat as dry as death valley? I’m not posting this to convict anybody or judge anybody, its just that in an attempt to have a green lawn, or spring salads in August, I wonder, are we causing someone somewhere else to lack this necessary element?

Clean fresh water is a scarcity in many developing countries. We need water to grow crops, that much is true, are we being efficient about it? We don’t need green lawns, especially here in the west where the phrase “…..when it rains in July” was probably coined. Green lawns are one of my pet peeves. I have one because my husband likes them, but I shrink it a little every year, and I try to only water it two or three times a month in the summer.

Many developing countries are strained for water and I realize that we can’t take our water and transfer it to another continent. But maybe we can learn to use water more wisely and then use the money we might have used trying to maintain our own taxed water supply to find ways to help developing countries, as well as our own, use water more efficiently so that the poor can have clean water to drink every day.

I hope that this post doesn’t detract from my posts recently expressing the joy at knowing God as my father and provider. After all, ultimately he does sustain us all and provide water for the thirsty, but once we discover how much he loves us it’s good to think about how we can extend that to others.

Let’s make sure our good deeds do not arise from an attempt at acceptance or to work out our own salvation, rather let our good deeds extend from our relationship with Jesus who’s good deed on the cross is greater than anything we can do, and who offers us living water.

No comments: