Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Finished one of my summer books

I just about swallowed "Searching For God Knows What" whole. Donald Miller challenged me to recognize my tendency to look for acceptance and shows how we all have a deep set need for acceptance. He compares our search for acceptance to those old 'life boat' projects I had to do in school, and to circus people looking for applause. Throughout the book I was encouraged in my growing understanding that it is relationship with Christ that is important and not any formula or action I do to be accepted. When we accept God's provision of salvation by His Son Jesus Christ we are accepted, even though there is nothing we can do to make ourselves acceptable. Once in a relationship with our great God it is a desire and pleasure to honor Him and bring glory to Him by our actions.

This is definitely a good book to read.

As for 'A Tale of Two Cities' I'm almost done, but I can't say I love it. It's good,definitely better than the Wishbone version on PBS, but I'll be glad to be done and move on to a new book.

No comments: