Friday, August 10, 2007

Mercy River


The most fascinating encounter I've ever had with water was a visit to Yosemite National Park two springs ago. Water is in such high demand in California, but you wouldn't know it during spring in Yosemite. Water gushes over almost every cliff face and thunders over rocks on its way to join the rolling, speeding, forward driving current of the Merced River (Mercy River, which is a beautiful image in itself.) I can imagine that early Californians saw all of this water and thought California was limitless and for the taking.


We depend on water, we can't go long at all without it. That which we must have to survive is also at times capable of ending our life in an instant. I was awed as I stood close to the waterfalls of Yosemite and rejoiced in the glory of God. I can't help noting that God's mercy gushes forth and pours into our lives filling a river that hopefully flows out to the people around us. May my river never follow the way of the Hetch Hetchy and be dammed up for personal use.

No comments: