Thursday, June 28, 2007

Wild Trees, a very good book

I know, I know, I'm terrible at keeping a blog. I almost decided to not bother, but a close friend told me she really wanted me to write more, which I can do because I am reading so many amazing books right now that I have plenty to say.

I just finished reading a book called "The Wild Trees" by Richard Preston. This is a book about the biggest trees in the world and the people who find them, climb them, and research them. It's incredibly amazing that there are trees in California that reach over 350 feet tall and in whose branches can be found more life than anyone ever imagined. The book inspires conservation practices. I don't think I could ever consider owning anything made of redwoods. I realize that we need wood for various products, such as houses, desks, etc., but couldn't we avoid building things out of redwood regardless of how long it lasts?

Even more wonderful in this book were the people. I was so impressed with the people who climb these trees. It must take amazing personalities to be bold enough to climb a tree and cooperate in a group in order to climb over 300 feet. These people seemed so compassionate and good, I feel tempted to drive to Humbolt University and meet Steve Sillet and Marie Antoine myself. What a treat it would be to hear their stories first hand and learn more about the canopy of one of my favorite trees.

The book left me tempted to learn to climb these trees for myself, but with six children, four of whom I'm still raising, I'm not sure I should take such risks....but then again if I'm careful and learn well....
hmmmm, probably not yet, I have enough big goals to keep me busy for a while.

I highly recomend this book to anyone interested in trees, plant biology, geography, or good
books.



Picture by Derek McHenry

No comments: