Tuesday, June 5, 2007

God really does have a sense of humor

Today I took my daughter out to dinner because she was having a hard time with the rules we laid down for her recently. I thought a bit of a meal with her would help her. We had Chinese food, and I prayed that God would help us to laugh together. After a tense meal she opened her fortune cookie and read her fortune. It said "You can do things that others say you cannot." We both smiled a little bit and I told her that if my fortune cookie told me to lighten up she could take hers seriously. We talked more easily about the situation after that. Then I finished my meal and opened my fortune cookie. It told me "Your perspective will shift." Of course my daughter really appreciated that and we had a good laugh and a pleasant time after that.

Of course neither of us looks for fortune cookies to tell us how to live, but I think they were a tool for laughter and healing.
Isn't God wonderful, that he would plan it just so in order to help us laugh and communicate when things might otherwise have stayed difficult and tense?

No comments: